Why Choose a Residential Steel Door | CSDMA
Steel doors are mostly used in commercial buildings, but less so in residential homes. Wood and fiberglass are the two most popular materials used for residential entry doors. That said, you should not discount steel doors entirely from the residential markets.
Steel doors can definitely be used for your home and they offer some incredible advantages. For instance, they have a strong outer shell that is hard to damage if an intruder tries to break and enter. They are also fire rated, meaning that steel doors with a 20-gauge skin can have a 20-minute fire rating. More importantly, they do not require much maintenance and are not vulnerable to cracking, rusting, or bowing.
What is Considered a Steel Door?
A steel door is not solid steel. Steel doors contain either polyurethane or polystyrene core with a steel skin over the top. That is because a door made from solid steel would be too heavy and would most likely tear out the hinges. Steel between 16 and 24 gauge is typically used for the skin of a door.
A wood frame surrounds the border of the door. None of the polyurethane or polystyrene can be seen on the perimeter of the door.
Other than the fact that steel doors are heavy, they are extremely good conductors of heat and cold. The polyurethane or polystyrene core acts as a thermal barrier.
Where to Install a Steel Door
Steel doors can be installed between interior and exterior areas, but mostly they are used as entry doors that lead to the exterior. When steel doors are installed in interior spaces it is because of a need for safety or fire protection in one of these areas.
5 Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Steel Door
- Decide if you need cut-outs before you make the purchase. Cut-outs are typically used as windows for pets or for incoming mail. A professional steel door installation company will help add cut-outs to your door.
- Steel doors are as weather resisting as wooden and fiberglass doors. If you are concerned about whether tightness, you may consider installing a storm door in front of the steel door.
- Steel Doors are generally more affordable than wooden doors. The amount you save will depend on the brand you purchase and the quality of the product.
- Installation is just as important as the design—a high-quality but poorly installed door can easily become a bad one. That is why it is recommended to call a professional door installation company to install the door correctly and effectively. Also worth mentioning is that professionals offer a warranty on their installation.
- Always take care of the hardware, which includes deadbolts, hinges, the lock system, and door leaf and insulating materials. Hardware plays an important role in a door’s ability to function properly. Some of the most common issues with steel doors have to do with the hardware.
CSDMA – Canadian Steel Doors Manufacturers Association
The Canadian Steel Door Manufacturers Association (CSDMA) was established in 1974. The goal of the Association is to deliver standards and specifications regarding the manufacture and installation of steel doors, frames, and related items, for the guidance of specifiers, end-users, AEC professionals, and those interested in the construction trades at large.
By accessing our website, you will have everything you need to help you choose the right commercial steel door manufacturer for your specific needs. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions regarding the CSDMA. We would be delighted to hear from you.